Winter & Oil

11/21/2011: i still had about 10gallons of unfiltered oil in my living room at room temperature. when i was pumping it the other day, it was clogging my filter wand after a few gallons - which means i then have to take a toothbrush to the wand and brush the fattiness & crud away (ill spend about 10 minutes) & continue.

the thickness that is clogging the filter is caused by the fattiness and/or water content.

i decided to experiment in putting the oil on the stove to warm it & make it thinner, therefore easier to pump & filter.
my concern here is that the fat will be melted & will be passing through my filters. this is fine, so long as the temperature i have heated the oil to on the stove is not above 150. i didnt read the temperature, but i dipped my finger in & it was warmed -- not very hot, so, i believe this will be fine. if the oil can pass through my filters when warm, it will be fine for my engine when at 150 degrees.

so, after several rounds of filling pot, heating pot then filtering, i finished my last 10 gallons.

after many hours, i know have fuel for like 10hrs of driving!

COLLECTING OIL ON THE ROAD IN WINTER
i would manually scoop oil from the restaurant's barrel into my 2 big stove pots (=2.5gallons) and heat them on the stoves in patience. the oil heats VERY fast, maybe just 3 minutes. 6 rounds of that & i will have filled the van's tank. then i would want to fill the spares of course, if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment