Cleaning The Wand Filter for the 1st Time

Tuesday, 8 June: We leave Hemlock Lake (Finger Lakes, NY) for Morrisville, VT. GMaps says it should be a 7.5hr drive, I figure it will be something over 9 hours. We drive on the veggie for around 4 hours, and pull over in the Adirondacks (around Lake Pleasant, perhaps?) to clean the 70micron wand filter for the first time, with the Brakleen.

To get to the wand, you need to unscrew a white plastic piece that holds the suctioning tube to the wand...It was on VERY tight, and I somehow incorrectly applied the science of "lefty loosy, righty tighty", which resulted in us actually tightening it more. Then it was really stuck. After about 30 minutes messing around with the thing, I figure we should drive & pull over at the next bar or what-have-you and solicit some burly men.

We pull over at a gas station, as I'm low on diesel & it is a good idea to be full on diesel.
The place right next to the gas station had a big banner up: "WELCOME BIKERS". Wonderful! Here are the burly men we so sought. I pull up, take out the road tote, hold up the wand piece & a wrench and ask 3 leather-clad men from a distance: "Excuse me, could any of you guys give me a hand in trying to get this piece off?" Two walk over, and begin trying to wrench it off. Not doin'. They try & try & eventually give up with a shrug of: "It's really on there." Now it has become a Sword In The Stone matter (a handy psychological situation), and more men came over to see how they could prove to be the best & strongest. A grey pony-tailed man succeeded in getting the thing off, to which I exclaimed "Hooraaay!". It wasn't until this point that someone asked what the thing WAS. Previously, everyone was just working to undo the thing, no questions asked. So, now, with swimming goggles on my head & bandana covering my mouth, I'm spraying the wand with Brakleen (which easily & effectively cleaned it) and explaining the vegification to the bikers, who are now ready to sit back and see what this is all about. I fill up, using up the 2 containers, which gave me 7/8 of a tank, and took us to Sarah's in Morrisville, VT.

No comments:

Post a Comment