Veggie System Turning Itself Off

Friday, June 18: I was driving away from Blue Lake Provincial Park (heading to Winnipeg), the veggie kicked on ... I was eyeing the gauges & all was well...then maybe 30 minutes into driving on veg, I noticed that the system had turned itself off. The switch was still in the "Veg On" position, but the light was not on, the pressure gauge was at the normal diesel level & the fuel temp was at a lower, diesel level. When I switched to "Purge", the light did not come on. It won't let me purge.

I thought, "Hmm." I texted Gregg (my veggie guy).
I pulled into a random auto parts place on the road to get a case of oil. (I had asked the park ranger where I could buy a case of motor oil at a cheaper price, and she recommended Walmart. Blech, no thank you.) Over 2600 miles, I used a whole case minus 1 quart I still have. I add oil every day.
I got a case of oil & checked the engine out, to being solving the veggie problem.

The reserve coolant tank was below "min". Okay! This makes sense & is something I can fix! :) I texted Gregg. Bought coolant, added coolant, got text from Gregg saying "The coolant is probably the issue... won't allow the safety auto switch to engage (180 degrees Farenheit).

I start driving, veg kicks on. Very good.

15 minutes-ish later, same deal -- veg system turned itself off & won't let me purge.
I text Gregg, he texts me: "You can bypass the temp safety auto switch by putting a fuse into that orange & black fuse-holder on the lefthand drivers side of the firewall as you face the engine...Use a 20 amp fuse or higher BUT BE CAREFUL TO MONITOR YOUR FUEL TEMP ON VEG SO IT IS OVER 150 DEG FARENHEIT!!!"

But hmm, do I really want to bypass the safety switch? Is it not allowing me to run on veg for a good reason? Haven't talked to Gregg about it yet.

But then I think, oh crap: I've gone through a case of oil, I've driven 2600mi (now that I come to calculate it), Patience really deserves an oil change & tune-up.

I pull over to "Canadian Tire", a huge chain: huge store & shop, they do everything. But! They don't usually do diesels & the man at the counter is scared of my van. Very well, because I then found internet & took the time to make a 9AM appointment on Monday with Vanagon lover guys, Continental Car Services, in Winnipeg. I found them from www.roadhaus.comAlso on Monday, I believe my package will come in. Possibly Tuesday. In the meantime: Hello, Winnipeg! 

I plan to hold off on driving on veg until after the filter changes & tune-up. If it still doesn't work after that, maybe I will try to bypass the temp safety switch, but I'll talk to Gregg more first...

No comments:

Post a Comment